No, Losing weight doesn’t actually make a person shorter but rather has the opposite effect in most cases by making a person look a bit taller. Though in some extreme cases, it has been observed that obese people develop fat in places like their feet that technically make them a bit taller, but most of the times this is negligible and is hidden by their bad posture due to their weight. And as we mentioned, in most cases losing weight oftentimes makes you look a bit taller than you were before as it can better your posture and make use of your height that is being wasted. Moreover, losing weight also takes off the pressure of your joints and spine to help increase height too. So you don’t need to worry about losing height when it comes to losing weight as it would in fact have the exact opposite effect by making you look a bit taller and is a way healthier choice
Losing Weight Can Actually Make You Look A Bit Taller
So to conclude, losing weight is only going to make you look taller rather than the opposite. Another thing to note at this point is that one of the reasons losing weight makes people look taller than they are is because of the width and height ratio, as proportions can have a big effect when it comes to appearance and being smil is beneficial to the proportional ratios. Moreover, being heavy-weight for a long period of time and not having a healthy routine can end up ruining your posture in the long run which can make you look shorter. But this is a long haul as it takes years for weight to actually have such a detrimental effect on your height.
To elaborate that losing weight does relieve your body of some pressures and can help in increasing height, here is a reference to a study. It was found in a study in 2012 conducted in Israel by Neurosurgeon Zvi Lidar that losing weight can change the height of a person’s intervertebral disc. But this doesn’t mean that the height of the intervertebral disc increases, but rather the height is restored as the immense pressure that it has to bear due to the weight of the body is taken off of it by a bit.
This advocates for the premise that weight can eventually start decreasing your overall height, as your joints and disc start feeling more and more overwhelmed by the extra pressure being put on them
Does Weight Loss Makes A Man Tall?
Yes And No, losing weight doesn’t actually make you taller but it can help you make your posture better. This won’t mean that your height would be actually increasing, but rather you would be making use of the height that you already have. Moreover, like we discussed above in the article by referring to a study, losing weight can help lessen the overall pressure on your joints and discs and make you look a bit taller by restoring its original look-point
Does losing weight Make You More Energetic?
Yes, it has been shown by many studies that losing weight can actually better the overall energy levels that one feels and have as the heart will have lesser mass to supply blood to and support. Moreover, as you might have guessed, less weight people lose less energy while moving around giving them more of the remaining energy to enjoy themselves with
The basic principle of losing weight is burning more caolries then you intake, and you have to keep in mind that most of the battle when it comes to weight loss is fought outside the gym rather than in the gym. As all of it depnends on your deit. You cannot just burn the extra burgers and pizzas you eat, and would need to stay on a very strict diet
Does Dieting Effect Height?
Having a good height is very good for anyone from any age, but it can only majorly be helpful for children when it comes to growing height and even then 60 to 70% of the height variable depends on your genetics, so if you are a grown man or woman, thinking that dieting is going to make you taller, that is not the case. However, if you lose weight it can have the effect of you looking a bit taller due to some other factors like a better posture that we have discussed above in the article.
Things You Can Do To Look Taller
- Slim Sleeves: Slim Sleeve can make your arms look distinct and make your overall frame look a bit tall. So, you can try a suit that is tighter right around the sleeves to pull this off correctly
- Shorter Jackets: Wearing short jackets pulls off an impression of your torso being shorter than your legs and your legs ultimately being long which gives off an impression of increased height. So you can try using jackets that fall above your hipbone. So for instance, if you are looking into wearing a sports outwear, look for one that has a smaller jacket
- Matching Your Socks And Pants: This can especially be helfpul if you are wearing socks that are visible, but the contrast shouldn’t be that sharp, its better if they are the different shades of the same colour. This will stretch out your body and make you look taller, So using blue socks for a blue suit is preferable
- Hats And Scarves: Diverting attention towards your face is always a great sign when it comes to the matter of your height. As this can make you look taller by balancing out your overall top and bottom halves. So wearing a hat or even a scarf of can prove helpful. For this, it is suggested that yous use clothes that go with your facial features like your eye/hair color. So a black hat for a black-eyed woman
- Slim Belts: This is basically the same part about sinching your pants or dresses as long as your dress or pants are cinched on your waistline, a bit above your bones it can immensely be helpful to make your legs look long and more fitting. And using a belt for cinching can be very practical. But the color of the belt should complement your overall clothing of course
Hopefully, this article was helpful in answering some of your height & weight-related questions. Lastly, if you want an answer to whether beards make you look tall or not, we have a great article written on that too, here is a link if you want to give it a look “Do Beards Make You Look Taller?“.
Healthline also has a great article written on foods that can help you grow taller so do give it a look if you are interested“11 Foods That Make You Taller“